Sea cucumber is also known as ginseng of the sea according to The Compendium of Materia Medica one of the most comprehensive Chinese medical books.
- Sweet flavored and neutral by nature.
- Neither yin (cooling) nor yang (warming) but rather well-balanced and is perfect for all types of constitutions.
- Used as a traditional remedy for nourishing the blood and kidney, and for high blood pressure, coronary heart diseases, hepatitis, asthma, rheumatism, constipation and erectile dysfunction1.
- Contains anticoagulant, antiplatelet, antitumor, antihypertensive and antioxidant properties due to its biologically active compounds2.
- High in protein, packed with amino acids, multivitamins and minerals.
- Low in fat, calories and cholesterol.
- Those originated from Japan and Korea are among the highest quality owing to the relatively pristine waters in the area and their stringent processing and handling.
Best for: Pan frying and braising in combination with ingredients as simple as scallions, or with fish maws, dried mushrooms and dried scallops. *Reduce soaking time if braising.
- Preparation: Prepare a pot of water. Make sure the pot is clean and free of oil. Bring water to boil. Add sea cucumbers and be sure to leave room for them to expand. Let simmer in medium-low heat, covered. After 20 minutes, turn off the heat and leave the sea cucumbers to soak for up to 12 hours or overnight, allowing the water to cool to room temperature. Change to a pot of fresh water and keep soaking the sea cucumbers for 1 to 2 days. Check on the consistency by squeezing the center of the sea cucumber. They will be ready to use when the center is the consistency of soft rubber and the surface is slippery and slimy. When they reach desired consistency, cut open the sea cucumbers and clean thoroughly. Store the softened and expanded sea cucumbers in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Thaw before cooking.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone currently under medication should consult their physician before taking any health supplements.
Abalone, sea cucumber, fish maw and scallop are natural products. The shipment of the product may vary by size and quantity. As they are sold by weight, number of items per pound listed in description are approximate. Our quality control team will ensure a consistent quality. Buy with confidence.