Before use, it is important to soak and soften the dried scallops in hot water for 30 minutes so they start releasing their flavors. It is perfectly fine to retain the water either to add it back into your dish for a sauce or to be used as future soup stocks.
Dried scallops, or conpoy are made from raw scallops that are preserved and treated. They are commonly used in soups, stews, sauces, and other dishes to give the dish a rich umami flavor.
Po Wing Hong sells only the freshest conpoy and offers a variety of sizes for your needs. Dried scallops’ prices vary depending on their origin, size, quality, and wholeness. For example, if they are still whole or have been broken apart.
- Their size varies depending on the size of the original fresh scallops.
- Conpoy has a long shelf life and can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for years.
- The highest quality conpoy come from Hokkaido, Japan.
- When selecting conpoy, it is important to smell them. They should have a fragrant and concentrated seafood aroma. Good quality conpoy are light golden yellow in color, whole in shape, and dry and firm to touch.
- Conpoy is especially rich in protein, iron and calcium1.
- In Chinese medicine, conpoy is a neutral food that has the ability to tonify “yin” energy. It nourishes the kidneys and stomach and is beneficial to regulating blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Wash and soak the conpoy in cold water for at least 30 minutes before use. For soups, you can reserve the soaking liquid to be added to the soups as the conpoy flavors have already been extracted into the water.
- One of the benefits of using conpoy is that since they have such rich and concentrated umami flavor, you can reduce the amount of salt or even eliminate salt in your dish.
- For storage, they should be kept either in a cool dry place or in the refrigerator.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone currently under medication should consult their physician before taking any health supplements.